Posted: 12/16/2018 | December 16th, 2018
Paris: The town of Lights. With 20 arrondissements (neighborhoods), points of interest all through the sprawling metropolis, and hundreds of motels, hostels, and flats to select from, discovering one of the best place to keep is usually a problem for first-time guests with numerous questions:
What’s one of the best general neighborhood?
What’s the most cost effective neighborhood?
Where do all of the cool youngsters keep?
Where’s a great spot for households?
What’s shut the town middle?
Over the course of dozens of visits to Paris, I’ve stayed throughout city and in all kinds of totally different lodging. Each neighborhood in Paris has its personal distinctive character and its personal execs and cons. There’s all the time a trade-off to be made right here.
So, I’ve taken my expertise and created this information to the neighborhoods of Paris to enable you to determine that out! I’ve included a quick description of every space, why I prefer it, and my favourite lodging.
Bastille takes its identify from the well-known jail that used to occupy this neighborhood (the storming of which began the French Revolution). At present, the jail is gone, and this animated a part of city has turn out to be recognized for its bars and golf equipment which might be in style with Parisian youth. In case you are in search of a enjoyable arrondissement to keep in, I’d advocate this one. It’s centrally situated, and the tiny cobblestone streets provide the most Parisian feeling!
Greatest locations to keep in Bastille
- BUDGET: Auberge Internationale des Jeunes – This can be a protected and well-maintained hostel, however the facilities are primary: there isn’t any kitchen for cooking your personal meals, however there’s a microwave and free breakfast is served every day 7-9:45am. There’s additionally a standard room with merchandising machines the place individuals like to hang around, and a safe baggage storage space. Notice: You have got to be underneath 30 years previous to keep right here!
- MID-RANGE: Paris Bastille – Situated proper throughout from the Opera Home and close to the Gare de Lyon, the Paris Bastille is a chic, quiet lodge with soundproofed rooms and enormous walk-in showers. You can begin your morning with a espresso and recent croissant within the lodge bar whereas studying one of many free newspapers.
- LUXURY: Hôtel l’Antoine – This boutique lodge was as soon as a 17th century convent, however its trendy décor of brightly patterned cement tiles and wallpapers make it an eccentric area. No two rooms are alike right here. There’s an honesty bar and lounge, and a hearty breakfast buffet every morning. The health room has a sauna with a chilly bathe too!
The Latin Quarter, one among my favourite areas of Paris, is full of slender streets that flip at bizarre angles and open onto little café-lined squares. I really like wandering round right here: it all the time feels such as you’re stepping again a couple of hundred years in historical past. It’s a busy space and never as quiet as different sections of Paris — there are a whole lot of eating places, bars, and jazz golf equipment — however you’ll be in the midst of the motion!
Greatest locations to keep within the Latin Quarter
- BUDGET: Younger & Completely satisfied Hostel – This hostel has fairly easy rooms however cozy beds, small however well-cleaned showers, and a big kitchen area. The widespread room is an previous cellar lined with stone, making for a comfortable and distinctive spot to hang around. The employees will typically host night occasions, and there’s a every day pleased hour for mingling with different vacationers. Additionally they supply a free breakfast of croissants, espresso, and juice.
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel Minerve – On a quiet road close to Notre Dame and the Sorbonne, Hôtel Minerve is housed inside a historic 1864 Haussmannian constructing full with flowered balconies. This place has been just lately renovated to give it some quirky appeal, like partitions of stone, seen beams, and unique paintings all through. There’s a big central courtyard as nicely. You will get an honest breakfast unfold every morning for 9 EUR, and there’s a useful airport shuttle.
- LUXURY: Grand Hôtel Saint Michel – Grand Hôtel Saint Michel is inside strolling distance to the a few of the space’s greatest points of interest, just like the Jardin du Luxembourg and the Panthéon. It caters fairly a bit to enterprise vacationers, nevertheless it isn’t stuffy, and the situation is unbeatable. There are a bunch of high-end providers on-site, like a concierge, a health middle, and even a hammam!
Probably the most well-known and upscale road in Paris is lined with cinemas, cafés, luxurious specialty outlets, huge brand-name shops, and chain eating places. It’s a enjoyable place to club-hop at night time or snap pictures and store through the day. The world surrounding the road is likely one of the most upscale and opulent in Paris. For those who keep off the primary road, you’ll discover it to be very quiet. It’s good and centrally situated to every thing, however there’s not plenty of “cool” issues to do within the space.
Greatest locations to keep in Champs-Élysées
- BUDGET: BVJ Champs-Elysées – This hostel in a former mansion is likely one of the most historic in Paris, having been round since 1948. They’ve a free French breakfast every morning, free baggage storage, and a sunny personal courtyard to hand around in.
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel Magda Champs Elysées – This lodge has trendy, clear, and classy rooms. The bar makes for a great spot to work whereas having a cocktail (or some complimentary espresso). They even put smartphones within the room so you can also make free telephone calls, watch Netflix, and extra. There’s a superb courtyard right here too.
- LUXURY: Marquis Faubourg Saint-Honoré – This can be a stylish lodge! The rooms are tremendous plush (if not a bit small) with marble fixtures and clawfoot bathtubs. Skip the breakfast; it’s overpriced.
Le Marais (which means “the marsh”) has been revitalized in the previous few years and is now a trendy, energetic space full of hip artwork galleries, boutiques, and cafés. The tight, winding streets are lined with previous structure, half-hidden courtyards, and fairly a couple of museums. You’ll additionally discover a number of the greatest eating places and bars on the town right here. It’s my favourite space of Paris. Moreover, it’s the middle of Paris’s homosexual life, so that you’ll have the ability to discover numerous homosexual bars, cafés, and outlets right here, in addition to loads of gay-friendly eating places.
Greatest locations to keep in Le Marais
- BUDGET: Auberge de Jeunesse MIJE Fourcy – This can be a distinctive price range hostel, because it’s three 17th century buildings renovated to create a hostel trio: MIJE Fourcy, Fauconnier, and Maubuisson. The rooms are fairly primary, however there’s a free breakfast. Don’t miss the courtyard.
- MID-RANGE: Villa Beaumarchais – This tiny and engaging lodge is on a quiet aspect road inside strolling distance of the Opéra Garnier and Place de la Madeleine. The rooms are vintage, with plenty of wooden furnishings and floral wallpaper. It’s very cozy. Attempt to get a room that overlooks the inside courtyard. The American-style breakfast buffet can also be good!
- LUXURY: Pavillon de la Reine – Pavillon de la Reine is within the Place des Vosges, one of the lovely and oldest squares on the planet, and the vine-covered constructing is beautiful. The rooms have superb, distinctive décor, with vintage furnishings and massive home windows, and there’s a spa and a health middle on-site. This can be a fantastic little hideaway, and Queen Anne of Austria truly as soon as stayed right here. Eat at Restaurant Anne should you really feel like splurging.
Residence to ravenous artists for many years, Montmartre presents a shocking view of Paris, arty cafés and bars, cobblestone streets, and the one vineyard inside the metropolis limits. It’s one of many hipper elements of Paris, even when it has misplaced a few of its previous grandeur. It’s house to numerous college students, because the rents on this a part of city are less expensive than elsewhere. It’s additionally fairly loud at night time, so attempt to keep on one of many lovely aspect streets.
Greatest locations to keep in Montmartre
- BUDGET: Le Village Montmartre By Hiphophostels – This small, cozy hostel with a view of Sacré-Coeur is actually surrounded by bars, eating places, and supermarkets. There’s a French breakfast every morning for six EUR, or you possibly can simply benefit from the massive kitchen to prepare dinner your personal meals.
- MID-RANGE: Le Relais Montmartre – This lodge is on a quiet road in Montmartre. It’s a fantastic worth. The rooms have a country appeal with uncovered beams and classic furnishings. Take a look at the breakfast – it’s actually good and the cellar restaurant is exclusive.
- LUXURY: Terrass Hôtel Montmartre by MH – The lodge bar’s views of Paris are beautiful, and the sundown is spectacular. The rooms are bigger than most on the town and have lovely décor in a basic Parisian type. The lodge presents yoga courses and spa remedies. Ensure to have brunch on the terrace.
Île de la Cité and Île Saint-Louis
These two islands within the Seine are the historic middle of Paris. The Romans arrange camp on Île de la Cité in 52 BC, and the island is now residence to Notre-Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, administrative buildings, and the Conciergerie. It’s additionally tremendous loud. Île Saint-Louis, on the opposite hand, is a quiet neighborhood for Paris’s wealthy and highly effective, crammed with well-preserved historic houses and streets. If you would like luxurious and quiet, keep right here. It’s fancy inns and little else.
Greatest locations to keep in Île de la Cité and Île Saint-Louis
- BUDGET: HA! That doesn’t exist right here!
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel De Lutèce – Notre-Dame – That is surprisingly reasonably priced, contemplating it’s on Île Saint-Louis. It’s on the smaller aspect, however with plenty of cozy touches, like working fireplaces. There are solely 23 rooms, however every one is air-conditioned and soundproofed. It feels extra like a home than a lodge.
- LUXURY: Hôtel Saint-Louis en L’Isle – This lodge is situated in a 17th-century townhouse that has retained most of its unique appeal, like uncovered picket beams and stone partitions. The rooms are spacious and regal. It’s one of the crucial luxurious lodges within the space and can make you are feeling like royalty. Breakfast is served within the stone-vaulted cellar!
Montparnasse is among the extra trendy elements of Paris, with a number of extra workplace buildings, new flats, and a extra native really feel to it. Situated close to the practice station of the identical identify, Montparnasse has cheap lodging and a superb variety of eating places. It’s not as classically fairly as different elements of city, nevertheless it’s much more “local” than different districts.
Greatest locations to keep in Montparnasse
- BUDGET: FIAP Jean Monnet – This isn’t a celebration hostel – there are sometimes faculty teams, and it’s comparable to a lodge convention middle. It’s in a quiet neighborhood. Nevertheless, you’ll be able to’t usher in your personal meals (they verify!). Dorms can be found solely these 18 to 30 years previous.
- MID-RANGE: Novotel Paris Centre Gare Montparnasse – This snug, business-style chain lodge has every thing you’d anticipate from a sequence. The rooms have giant walk-in showers and reminiscence foam mattresses. It’s trendy and vibrant. They provide free espresso and tea, and in case you have youngsters, they’ll love the balloon animals the employees make!
- LUXURY: Niepce Paris Lodge – This small boutique lodge is charming. It’s a brand new lodge, so every little thing continues to be shiny. Some rooms have outdoors patios with jacuzzi tubs, however even the junior rooms are trendy and opulent. The restaurant serves distinctive Japanese/French fusion delicacies.
This stylish, bustling neighborhood is centered round Paris’s former central market, Les Halles (pronounced lay-AL), which was torn down in 1971. The market was “the stomach of Paris” for hundreds of years. Now there’s an underground shopping center, and the encompassing streets are crammed with designer shops, cafés, and artisanal meals outlets. Staying right here places you within the middle of all of the motion.
Greatest locations to keep in Les Halles
- BUDGET: Appi Lodge – It’s exhausting to discover a good finances choice on this a part of city, however Appi Lodge is the most effective place. There’s nothing notably noteworthy about it, however the rooms are personal and clear. Understand that not all of them include personal loos, nevertheless.
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel du Cygne – Hôtel du Cygne will make you are feeling such as you’re at — actually! The proprietor’s mom has hand-sewn all the mattress linens and curtains. There are only a few tiny rooms on this lodge, however it’s a cushty spot and situated only a fast stroll to the Etienne-Marcel Metro Station. There’s a breakfast every morning (which you’ve to pay for).
- LUXURY: Hôtel Novotel Paris Les Halles – Air-conditioned rooms, 24-hour room service, big beds — what’s not to love? Novotel Paris Les Halles is subsequent to the large purchasing areas (like Rue de Rivoli) and in addition inside strolling distance of the Louvre and different points of interest. There’s a stunning patio the place you’ll be able to take pleasure in conventional French meals or cocktails, or hand around in the lounge with the opposite visitors.
Saint-Germain-des-Prés used to be house to artists, writers, and thinkers. Now it’s some of the costly and stylish neighborhoods in Paris (residence to celebrities), with high-priced artwork galleries, designer outlets, and fancy eating places. It’s not low cost to keep in, however it’s an exquisite space to stroll by means of and considered one of my favourite on the town. It’s every thing you think about Paris to be.
Greatest locations to keep in Saint-Germain-des-Prés
- BUDGET: Hôtel de Nesle – There are sadly not too many price range lodging on this a part of city. For those who like kitsch, Nesle is the place for you! There’s hardly a single wall that isn’t coated in some type of adornment. Some rooms have personal loos with showers, whereas others are shared. There’s an internal backyard the place you’ll be able to chill out.
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel M Saint Germain – This boutique lodge is tremendous trendy, and every air-conditioned room is adorned with brilliant pops of shade! Some rooms have small balconies. There’s a scrumptious breakfast right here too.
- LUXURY: Hôtel Récamier – The employees is extraordinarily useful with arranging any outings you’d like to do, and the complimentary afternoon tea is a pleasant contact. The rooms are spacious and air-conditioned (I additionally love the mattresses), and the constructing is historic and delightful.
Belleville is certainly one of many grittier elements of city, with a busy Chinatown and an entire melting pot of various cultures. The middle of Paris’s immigrant group, Belleville is slowly turning into common with hipsters and youthful youngsters. A few of the greatest ethnic meals is meals right here; there’s an superior road market, and it’s proper subsequent to the Le Marais, so you possibly can all the time stroll over and get some fancy French meals. I discover myself staying on this a part of city increasingly more.
Greatest locations to keep in Belleville
- BUDGET: Les Piaules – This newish hostel has a unbelievable chimney lounge and a rooftop area. The bar/restaurant on the bottom flooring is widespread with locals and teams, so it’s all the time a enjoyable time. The rooms are tremendous trendy and the beds cozy. It’s one among my favourite hostels on the town.
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel des Pyrénées – Whereas there’s nothing notably stand-out about this lodge, it has lately undergone some massive renovations, so that you’ll discover glossy and trendy rooms at reasonably priced costs. There are household rooms for up to 4 individuals.
- LUXURY: Hôtel Scarlett – This can be a fashionable, refurbished lodge with significantly lovely areas. The beds are giant and cozy, and every room comes with a flat-screen TV. The useful concierge will provide help to discover your means round Paris, no drawback.
Eiffel Tower/Champs de Mars
As you may need guessed, Eiffel Tower/Champs de Mars is the place to be in case your principal purpose for visiting Paris is to see the long-lasting Eiffel Tower (and to have quick access to another large points of interest). Aside from the spectacular structure, there are a number of nice pure historical past and trendy artwork museums to take a look at, in addition to the sprawling Parc du Champ-de-Mars.
Greatest locations to keep in Eiffel Tower/Champs de Mars
- BUDGET: three Geese Hostel – A 10-minute stroll from the Eiffel Tower, three Geese has the most effective places on the town. The employees is pleasant, the rooms are small however snug, and the showers are clear. This can be a extra upscale hostel with just lately revamped décor.
- MID-RANGE: Hôtel Eiffel Kensington – A no-frills lodge, however it’s meters from the Eiffel Tower, and you will get personal single rooms at respectable costs. The rooms are spacious sufficient and include a desk. I just like the fluffy pillows.
- LUXURY: Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel – The rooms listed here are all trendy and minimalist, with leather-based furnishings and modern finishings. Most have a desk and a bit of sofa. There’s a health room and a very nice terrace for eating. Every room comes with superb views over the town, and a few include balconies wanting onto the tower.
Regardless of the place you select to keep in Paris, you possibly can’t go improper. It’s tremendous properly related by way of metro, there’s no such factor as an space with dangerous meals, and each space is gorgeous (it’s Paris in any case!).
For me, Le Marais, the Latin Quarter, Bastille, and Saint-Germain-des-Prés are the 4 greatest neighborhoods to keep in when visiting Paris.
However each neighborhood has one thing for somebody, so simply decide the one which fits your wants!
Get Your In-Depth Price range Information to Paris!
For extra in-depth info, take a look at my guidebook to Paris written for price range vacationers like your self! It cuts out the fluff present in different guides and will get straight to the sensible info you want to journey and get monetary savings in probably the most lovely and romantic cities on the planet. You’ll discover instructed itineraries, budgets, methods to get monetary savings, on- and off-the-beaten-path issues to see and do, non-touristy eating places, markets, and bars, and rather more! Click on right here to study extra and get began.
Guide Your Journey to Paris: Logistical Ideas and Tips
Ebook Your Flight
Discover a low cost flight through the use of Skyscanner or Momondo. They’re my two favourite serps, as a result of they search web sites and airways across the globe, so that you all the time know no stone is being left unturned.
Ebook Your Lodging
You’ll be able to e-book your hostel with Hostelworld. If you would like to keep someplace aside from a hostel, use Reserving.com, because it persistently returns the most cost effective charges for guesthouses and low cost lodges. I exploit it on a regular basis.
Right here’s an inventory of my favourite hostels in Paris in case you need extra choices than what’s listed right here!
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you towards sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes flawed. I by no means go on a visit with out it, as I’ve had to use it many occasions prior to now. I’ve been utilizing World Nomads for ten years. My favourite corporations that provide one of the best service and worth are:
On the lookout for the most effective corporations to get monetary savings with?
Take a look at my useful resource web page for the perfect corporations to use once you journey! I listing all those I exploit — and I feel they’ll assist you too!
On the lookout for extra info on visiting Paris?
Take a look at my in-depth vacation spot information to Paris with extra ideas on what to see and do, methods to save, and far, rather more!
Photograph credit: 2, three, 5, 9, 10, 11
var aepc_pixel = “pixel_id”:”1030407097019558″,”user”:,”enable_advanced_events”:”no”,”fire_delay”:”0″,”enable_viewcontent”:”no”,”enable_addtocart”:”yes”,”enable_addtowishlist”:”no”,”enable_initiatecheckout”:”yes”,”enable_addpaymentinfo”:”no”,”enable_purchase”:”yes”,”allowed_params”:”AddToCart”:[“value”,”currency”,”content_category”,”content_name”,”content_type”,”content_ids”],”AddToWishlist”:[“value”,”currency”,”content_category”,”content_name”,”content_type”,”content_ids”],
aepc_pixel_args = ,
aepc_extend_args = perform( args )
if ( typeof args === ‘undefined’ )
args = ;
for(var key in aepc_pixel_args)
args[key] = aepc_pixel_args[key];
// Prolong args
if ( ‘sure’ === aepc_pixel.enable_advanced_events )
aepc_pixel_args.userAgent = navigator.userAgent;
aepc_pixel_args.language = navigator.language;
if ( doc.referrer.indexOf( doc.area ) < zero )
aepc_pixel_args.referrer = doc.referrer;
fbq('init', aepc_pixel.pixel_id, aepc_pixel.consumer);
fbq('monitor', "PageView", aepc_pixel_args);
, aepc_pixel.fire_delay * 1000 );