Just like the Google Nexus collection, the Google Pixel smartphones are among the many best units to unlock the bootloader, root, and set up customized ROMs and kernels. The 2018 Google Pixel 3 and Google Pixel 3 XL will probably be no totally different. The truth is, it’s already attainable to root the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL because of the newest replace of the favored systemless-root software referred to as Magisk. He has launched model 17.3 of Magisk and you possibly can learn concerning the launch notes right here. Unlocking the bootloader of the Pixel 3 collection takes seconds, and getting your system up and operating with Magisk takes minutes. In the event you’ve ever unlocked the bootloader of and rooted a Google Nexus, Google Pixel, or OnePlus gadget, you shouldn’t have any points unlocking your Pixel 3 and putting in Magisk. For these of you who want a refresher, right here’s a tutorial to information you thru the method.
Particular because of XDA Acknowledged Developer topjohnwu, the lead developer of Magisk, for all of the work that he does. With out him, this wouldn’t have been attainable. Please contemplate supporting him on Patreon. Comply with him on Twitter for teasers of his upcoming work.
Half 1 – Unlock the Google Pixel 3’s Bootloader
- Open the Settings app.
- Go to System.
- Faucet on About telephone.
- Scroll down and faucet on Construct quantity 7 occasions till it says you’re now a developer.
- Return one web page and close to the underside of the record, you need to see “Developer options.”
- With out scrolling down, it is best to see an “OEM unlocking” choice. Allow it. For safety functions, it might ask you to enter your lock display PIN/password in case you have one set.
- Scroll down a bit till you see “USB debugging.” Allow it.
- Plug in your Pixel 3 into your PC. Comply with these steps to arrange ADB and Fastboot in your PC. In the event you solely have entry to a Chromebook, you possibly can comply with this information to arrange ADB and Fastboot on Chrome OS.
- Make certain your PC acknowledges your Pixel 3 by opening up a command immediate/Energy Shell/Terminal in the identical listing the place you saved the ADB and Fastboot binaries and getting into the next command relying in your OS:
Home windows Command Immediate:
Home windows Energy Shell:
(For the remainder of this tutorial, please use the identical command prefixes relying in your OS.)
For those who see your system’s serial quantity and it says “authorized,” you then’re good to go. If that is your first time establishing ADB for this system, then you may even see a immediate in your telephone to allow USB Debugging on your PC. Grant it permission. When you’re having hassle getting your Home windows PC to acknowledge your gadget, attempt putting in the newest Google USB Drivers.
- Now, reboot to the bootloader menu. You’ll be able to both do that by holding the facility and quantity down buttons whereas booting up, or by getting into the next ADB command:
adb reboot bootloader
- When you’re on the bootloader menu, you’ll now have to modify to utilizing fastboot command to speak with your gadget. To unlock the Pixel 3’s bootloader, enter the next command:
fastboot flashing unlock
- You must now see textual content on display warning you concerning the potential dangers of unlocking the bootloader. On the display subsequent to the facility and quantity buttons, it is best to see some textual content. Press the quantity up key till it says “unlock the bootloader.” As soon as it says this, press the facility button.
- The telephone will unlock the bootloader and reboot again to the bootloader menu. This time, the bootloader will present a pink warning icon and “unlocked” textual content.
- Now, reboot your telephone again to the Android 9 Pie OS. You are able to do this by sending the next fastboot command:
- Congratulations, your Google Pixel 3 or Google Pixel 3 XL now has an unlocked bootloader! You’ll see a warning message that your telephone’s bootloader is unlocked on each boot, however don’t fear about that because it doesn’t have an effect on your day-to-day use.
Half 2 – Rooting the Google Pixel 3 with Magisk
With an unlocked bootloader, now you can boot modified boot photographs. For Magisk to work, you’ll have to patch the Pixel 3’s boot picture. Luckily, the Magisk Supervisor app can care for that for you. We examined this on topjohnwu’s and my very own Google Pixel 3 XL, and on Dees_Troy’s Google Pixel 3 and can affirm that Magisk works on each units.
- Since your system has been wiped, you’ll want to return and re-enable Developer Choices and then re-enable USB Debugging. Ensure that your Pixel 3 continues to be acknowledged by your PC.
- Obtain the inventory boot picture for the Google Pixel 3 or Google Pixel 3 XL. Please pay attention to which gadget you’re utilizing and that the construct variety of the boot picture matches what you’re operating. You possibly can verify your present construct quantity by going to Settings –> System –> About Telephone and scrolling down till you see the Construct quantity subject. Pay attention to that worth.
- Obtain Google Pixel 3 (“blueline”) inventory boot picture for construct quantity PD1A.180720.030.
- Obtain Google Pixel 3 XL (“crosshatch”) inventory boot picture for construct quantity PD1A.180720.030.
- Transfer the inventory boot picture to a folder in your system’s inner storage. The obtain folder is ok.
- Set up the newest Magisk Supervisor beta APK from right here.
- Faucet “Install.”
- Faucet “Install” once more, although you gained’t be putting in the zip file that it’s displaying you.
- Faucet “Patch Boot Image File.”
- Choose the inventory boot picture file that you simply saved earlier.
- You must see a bunch of textual content on the display displaying you the progress of Magisk Supervisor patching the inventory boot picture. As soon as it’s executed, press shut. Magisk Supervisor ought to save the file as “patched_boot.img” to the Obtain listing so simply depart it like that.
- Transfer the patched_boot.img file out of your system to your PC. To make issues simpler, transfer the file to the identical listing the place your ADB and Fastboot binaries are situated.
- Reboot to the bootloader menu once more.
- (Optionally available: If you wish to skip the check boot, go to step 14.) On the bootloader, enter the next fastboot command to briefly boot the patched Magisk boot picture:
fastboot boot patched_boot.img
- After a number of seconds, your telephone ought to exit the bootloader menu and reboot to the Android Pie OS. If profitable, you need to have the ability to open up Magisk Supervisor and see what model of Magisk is put in. The 2 inexperienced checkmarks up prime are a great signal you’re on the fitting path. Now we have to truly set up Magisk so we don’t need to run this fastboot command earlier than every boot!
- Let’s flash the patched Magisk boot picture to the boot partition. Enter the next command on the bootloader display:
fastboot flash boot patched_boot.img
- (Non-compulsory) Because the Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL help A/B partitions, you can even flash the patched boot picture to the inactive slot. Simply exchange the “boot” within the above command with both “boot_a” or “boot_b”, whichever is the other of the slot that it beforehand flashed to in step 13.
- Reboot again to the Android Pie OS and examine the standing of your root by opening up Magisk Supervisor.
Half 3 – What do I do now?
What are a number of the issues you are able to do with your Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL after rooting with Magisk? Right here’s a brief record I got here up with off the highest of my head:
- Set up the Lively Edge Mod to completely customise the squeeze gestures on the Pixel 3.
- Set up customized themes for system apps or third-party apps by way of the Substratum theme engine. Equally, you need to use an app like Pluvius to dynamically theme your system based mostly on the present wallpaper.
- Make full app backups utilizing Titanium Backup.
- Re-enable name recording since Android Pie took it away for unrooted customers.
- Miss the blob emojis from Android Nougat? You will get them again with the Blobmoji Magisk Module.
- There’s a ton of audio mods within the Magisk Module repo. Examine them out for a greater music playback expertise!
- Just like the inventory Gboard keyboard app? Take a look at these Gboard themes.
- An enormous fan of Google apps and providers? With root, you’ll be able to allow a number of the in-development options earlier than they roll out for most of the people. Take a look at our tutorials for loads of examples.
- Not a fan of the Google Pixel Launcher? You should use a third-party launcher like Lawnchair however with root, you’ll be able to combine it into the current apps overview and gesture navigation.
- Customise the default system media, fonts, boot animation, and extra so as to add just a little taste to your software program.
- Get YouTube Vanced—an enhanced model of the YouTube app for Android.
- This app permits you to customise the show saturation degree for those who like punchier colours.
You’ve in all probability heard that unlocking the bootloader and rooting your gadget with Magisk means you gained’t have the ability to play sure video games like Pokémon Go and Destiny/Grand Order or use banking apps. Nevertheless, there are options like MagiskHide that may disguise the truth that your system has been modified so you’ll be able to proceed utilizing your favourite apps and video games! Unlocking the bootloader will influence how you’re taking updates, although. You’ll have to discover ways to sideload month-to-month safety patch updates which is definitely pretty straightforward to do.
Lastly, if you would like much more management over your gadget, you’ll be capable of flash customized ROMs and kernels in your Pixel 3 as soon as they’re made obtainable for the 2 units. Customized ROMs can supply lots of choices that aren’t obtainable on the inventory software program. Customized kernels allow you to tune the efficiency of your system to squeeze extra battery life or get much more frames in your favourite video games. Because the Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL have simply been launched, there aren’t any customized ROMs or kernels out there for the gadget simply but. However maintain an eye fixed out on the XDA boards for each units in the event you’re within the customized improvement scene.
Be a part of the Google Pixel 3 Boards
Be a part of the Google Pixel 3 XL Boards
Lastly, because the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL help A/B twin partitions for seamless updates, you need to learn up on how that impacts modding if that is your first time with an A/B units.
Need extra posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your e-mail to be subscribed to our publication.
fbq(‘init’, ‘403489180002579’); // Insert your pixel ID right here.