Posted: 11/7/2018 | November seventh, 2018
Making an attempt to discover lodging in New York Metropolis is usually a painstaking lengthy course of given the giant variety of motels and neighborhoods to keep in. This can be a metropolis of 10 million individuals. It’s large and there’s numerous selection.
What neighborhoods are good to keep in?
Why does all the things appear to value a freaking fortune?
The place is the greatest place to keep?
As somebody who has been working and dwelling in New York Metropolis on and off for over 5 years, I’ve stayed in all kinds of locations right here. I’ve Couchsurfed, stayed in low cost hostels, low cost resorts, costly lodges (on factors), B&Bs, pod motels, pal’s couches, Airbnbs, and every little thing in between. There are plenty of issues to contemplate when determining the place to keep in NYC that taking a look at Google merely can’t inform you.
So, at this time, as fall and vacation season – the greatest season in the metropolis – will get into full swing, I would like to break down the greatest neighborhoods in New York Metropolis and the greatest lodging in every of these neighborhoods so you’ll be able to decide the proper place to keep in your go to:
- 1 Best Neighborhood in Brooklyn: Williamsburg
- 2 Best Neighborhood for Nightlife and Meals: East Village
- 3 Best General Neighborhood: West Village
- 4 Best Neighborhood for General #2: Chelsea
- 5 Best Neighborhood for Households: Higher West Aspect
- 6 Best Neighborhood for Sightseeing: Midtown
- 7 Best Neighborhood for Museums: Higher East Aspect
- 8 Best Neighborhood for Consuming & Consuming: Decrease East Aspect
- 9 Best Neighborhood for Historical past: The Monetary District
- 10 Best Neighborhood for Arts/Tradition: TriBeCa
- 11 Best Neighborhood for Arts/Tradition #2: Harlem
- 12 Best Neighborhood in Queens: Astoria
- 13 NEXT STEP —> Get My Information and See Extra of NYC for Much less!
Best Neighborhood in Brooklyn: Williamsburg
Williamsburg in Brooklyn is hipster(ish) central. It’s house to offbeat eating places, bars, clothes shops, and coffeeshops, and an “I’m cool because I’m different” angle. You’ll discover numerous flannel and beards right here! It’s not as hipster because it used to be thanks to all the Manhattanites who got here for cheaper rents (although the impending closure of the L practice is forcing individuals again into Manhattan) however I actually take pleasure in this space as a result of it’s shut to Manhattan, low cost, and full of enjoyable bars (take a look at Freehole), prime rated eating places, unimaginable bars, artwork, fantastic markets (Smorgasburg is the greatest), and music exhibits. I spend lots of weekends right here.
Best locations to keep in Williamsburg
- BUDGET: Worldwide College students Residence – This hostel isn’t only for college students. It’s a cushty place to stick with free Wi-Fi, snug and clear beds, kitchens to prepare dinner in, and an superior widespread space.
- MID-RANGE: Pointe Plaza Lodge – A luxurious lodge however with finances costs, this place has spacious suites (with full kitchens!) and outsized rooms with pleasant employees.
- LUXURY: Wythe Lodge – The Wythe is a refurbished waterfront manufacturing unit with brick uncovered rooms which have heated flooring and funky are. There’s a rooftop bar with an excellent view of Manhattan as properly. It’s the greatest place to keep if you need to splurge.
Best Neighborhood for Nightlife and Meals: East Village
Well-known for its nightlife, Manhattan’s East Village is my all-time favourite NYC neighborhood. The bars scene right here is superb (you’ll discover tons of cocktail lounges, speakeasies, and dive bars), the eating places are superb (a lot good Japanese meals round right here), there are cool karaoke bars and barcades and simply an eclectic combine of individuals It’s plenty of enjoyable. There’s quite a bit to do right here, it’s very central, and it’s fairly reasonably priced.
Best locations to keep in the East Village
- BUDGET: American Dream Mattress & Breakfast – This B&B has solely personal rooms. The breakfast is hearty, with cereals, baked items, and recent fruit. Snacks are out there all through the day, and also you even have free use of the kitchen.
- MID-RANGE: East Village Lodge – Every studio house has a totally outfitted kitchenette so it can save you cash on meals whenever you go to! The rooms are lovely with uncovered brick partitions and the lodge’s central location can’t be beat.
- LUXURY: The Normal – The Commonplace is certainly one of the greatest motels in the metropolis and its East aspect location is best than the one in the Meatpacking district. The bar serves a few of the greatest drinks in city and is often all the time full of NY’s trendy set.
Best General Neighborhood: West Village
The West Village is the place to be (and stay). Regardless of its rich, celebrity-heavy demographic and plethora of fancy eating places and boutiques, the space is fairly low-key. Strolling round the cobblestone streets previous sidewalk cafés, you are feeling as when you’ve left the loopy metropolis behind and are in a quiet, suburban neighborhood. That’s the allure of this space. You’re in the metropolis however actually not. It’s busy throughout the day however, at night time, it quiets down tremendously making it an excellent place to sleep!
Best locations to keep in the West Village
- BUDGET: The Jane – This historic lodge was truly the place the survivors of the Titanic have been put up once they landed in NYC. Now, it’s in all probability the greatest price range lodge in city, with compact single rooms, cozy beds, and shared loos.
- MID-RANGE: The Marlton – The Marlton is a restored boutique lodge with brass fixtures and crown moldings and an incredible bar that serves unimaginable cocktails.
- LUXURY: Gansevoort – This stylish lodge is one in every of the fanciest in the space. Technically it’s in the Meatpacking district however that’s principally the West Village so I’m together with it! They’ve an awesome rooftop bar and hip, trendy rooms. It’s a well-liked place with the celeb / mannequin crowd.
Best Neighborhood for General #2: Chelsea
Chelsea is certainly one of New York Metropolis’s greatest neighborhoods. It’s received numerous restaurant choices, cool lounges, artwork galleries, and is one among the focal factors of LGBT life in the metropolis. You possibly can spend all day exploring flea markets and vintage outlets, seize some tacos at the Chelsea Market, stroll the lovely Excessive Line (an previous practice monitor became a park), after which take pleasure in a drink at a speakeasy or a dive bar earlier than calling it an evening.
Best locations to keep in Chelsea
- BUDGET: Chelsea Worldwide – That is one in every of the largest hostels in the metropolis and has an outside courtyard, a eating space, and two kitchens. Breakfast is included and there’s additionally a free pizza celebration on Wednesdays.
- MID-RANGE: Heritage Lodge New York Metropolis – The Heritage Lodge has easy however clear and cozy rooms, with air con and a flat-screen TVs. There’s free Wi-Fi all through the constructing and a 24-hour health middle.
- LUXURY: Ace Lodge – A centrally situated artsy lodge with good eating. There’s a espresso store in the foyer that draws plenty of freelancers and start-up people. It provides the place an ideal vibe!
Best Neighborhood for Households: Higher West Aspect
The Higher West Aspect is certainly considered one of the costlier elements of city, nevertheless it’s worthwhile to see the lovely, well-known brownstones and a few of the museums close by, like the American Museum of Pure Historical past. It’s shut to Central Park, and there are loads of buying, consuming, and nightlife choices as properly. It’s one among the largest household areas in the metropolis so in the event you’re bringing youngsters or simply need one thing much more laid again and quiet, keep right here!
Best locations to keep in the Higher West Aspect
- BUDGET: HI New York Metropolis – Certainly one of the largest and hottest hostels in the metropolis with a ton of area, an outside patio, free Wi-Fi, occasions, actions, and an enormous kitchen.
- MID-RANGE: Royal Park Lodge & Hostel – You’re only a fast stroll from Occasions Sq. whenever you keep right here. Rooms are easy, however you will have all the facilities, like free WiFi and air con.
- LUXURY: Lodge Lucerne – Just some blocks away from Central Park and the Hudson River, Lodge Lucerne has luxurious rooms (the beds are incredible!) with free Wi-Fi and 24-hour in-room eating, in addition to spa providers and valet parking.
Best Neighborhood for Sightseeing: Midtown
Midtown has numerous NYC’s largest vacationer points of interest like Rockefeller Middle, Occasions Sq., and the Museum of Metropolitan Artwork, Madison Sq. Backyard, Broadway, and Koreatown. There’s lots happening! I don’t love staying in this a part of city because it’s touristy, actually busy, and there are far cooler neighborhoods in the metropolis. BUT, should you should keep right here, the under locations are the place you need to keep!
Best locations to keep in Midtown
- BUDGET: Jazz Hostel – This hostel on Columbus Circle is my favourite hostel in New York (there’s additionally one on the Higher West Aspect). It offers a pleasant surroundings, a kitchen, cozy dorms, free WiFi, and a standard space on each flooring.
- MID-RANGE: YOTEL – A contemporary, high-tech lodge that even has a baggage storage robotic (significantly). The rooms are nice, however the extremely giant outside terrace is the actual winner. Seize some grub and luxuriate in the view.
- LUXURY: W Lodge Occasions Sq. – You’re actually on Occasions Sq. at the W Lodge, subsequent to massive points of interest like MoMA and Radio Metropolis Music Corridor. There’s onsite eating, free WiFi, and a W MixBar in each room.
If you’d like to keep in Midtown East, you’ll be nearer to Grand Central Station, the Chrysler Constructing, and the Empire State Constructing.
Best locations to keep in Midtown East
- BUDGET: Vanderbilt YMCA – The Vanderbilt YMCA is shut to all the things you need to see and do in Midtown East, and inside strolling distance to Occasions Sq., the New York Public Library, MoMA, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The rooms are easy, however they’re all personal, and friends can reap the benefits of a shared kitchen and baggage storage. You may as well use the health middle and steam room, in addition to the swimming pools.
- MID-RANGE: Pod 39 Lodge – Pod 39 is situated in Murray Hill, shut to all the hustle and bustle however quiet sufficient to take pleasure in a great night time’s sleep. It’s close to Grand Central Terminal, with quick access to the remainder of the metropolis. The rooftop at this lodge is value visiting in the summer time. It’s beautiful!
- LUXURY: The Library Lodge – In case you’re a e-book lover, you’ve acquired to splurge on a keep right here! Every room has a library really feel to it, with wooden furnishings and particular person libraries filled with distinctive books. Rooms have Wi-Fi and all the facilities you want. You’ll additionally get free breakfast!
Best Neighborhood for Museums: Higher East Aspect
Higher East Aspect is one other space recognized for being household pleasant and as a less expensive place to reside than downtown (plenty of my buddies reside right here). It’s the greatest space for Museum Mile, residence to the Guggenheim, Frick, Museum of the Metropolis of New York, and the Metropolitan Museum of Artwork. Moreover, thanks to all the younger youngsters that reside right here, you’ll find loads of unimaginable bars in the space. It has a very good nightlife and restaurant scene!
Best locations to keep in the Higher East Aspect
- BUDGET: The Franklin Lodge – The rooms right here are easy, however the Franklin Lodge has a whole lot of perks, like a free buffet breakfast and a free wine-and-cheese reception very night. There’s additionally 24-hour espresso and cappuccino! All rooms include giant TVs, iPod docks, and cozy pillow-top mattresses. It’s additionally shut to Central Park and Museum Mile.
- MID-RANGE: Bentley Lodge – An reasonably priced boutique lodge with nice views over the East River. The rooms are tremendous snug, and all the beds include down comforters. There’s a pleasant foyer bar and the breakfast buffet is $18.
- LUXURY: Lodge Wales – A boutique lodge in the Carnegie Hill space, Lodge Wales has some lovely historic structure but in addition a lot of trendy luxuries, like down duvets and a very nice spa. Paola’s Restaurant serves actually wonderful Italian meals too, together with handmade pasta dishes. There’s additionally a 24-hour health middle.
Best Neighborhood for Consuming & Consuming: Decrease East Aspect
The Decrease East Aspect is a major buying, consuming, and consuming neighborhood in the metropolis. It’s an extremely numerous space – there are gritty pubs and bars, late-night comedy golf equipment, tattoo parlors galore, and quite a lot of artwork galleries too. The Tenement Museum, certainly one of my favourite museums, can also be situated right here. You’ll get the full NYC expertise staying in the Decrease East Aspect and it’s considered one of my favourite neighborhoods.
Best locations to keep in the Decrease East Aspect
- BUDGET: Blue Moon Lodge – A clear, pleasant place to stick with dorm rooms. They’ve a model new foyer bar/café space, and a TV widespread room for friends. You’re only a fast stroll to the subway from right here!
- MID-RANGE: The RIDGE Lodge – Small rooms, however with some nice facilities like iPod docking stations and wall-mounted TVs in every room. The useful concierge will help you guide excursions.
- LUXURY: Lodge Indigo – This lodge is devoted to supporting native road artwork and artists, and also you’ll see loads of their work all through the constructing. Locals flock to the Mr. Purple rooftop bar and pool space in the night for fancy cocktails.
Best Neighborhood for Historical past: The Monetary District
The Monetary District space of New York Metropolis undoubtedly caters to enterprise staff throughout the day however it’s grow to be rather a lot cooler of an space in the previous couple of years. It’s now a well-liked place to stay in the metropolis. Here you’ll find a way to take in the previous metropolis: the historic church buildings, buildings, and taverns which were round since the 1700s. You’ll additionally discover Federal Corridor, the Statue of Liberty, the 9/11 Memorial & Museum, Wall Road, and Battery Park. Briefly, it might be busy however there’s rather a lot to do right here!
Best locations to keep in the Monetary District
- BUDGET: Eurostars Wall Road – There are not many finances choices in this space, principally as a result of it caters to individuals touring on enterprise. However Eurostars persistently gives good costs, and facilities embrace a microwave and TV in every room. Free WiFi, too.
- MID-RANGE: Hilton Backyard Inn NYC Monetary Middle/Manhattan Downtown – A 24-hour comfort retailer (The Pavilion Pantry) and the health middle are simply two causes to love this place. It’s additionally a stone’s throw from the Charging Bull on Wall Road and Battery Park!
- LUXURY: Membership Quarters Lodge Wall Road – With its newly renovated rooms and nice location proper subsequent to superior eating places and bars, Membership Quarters Lodge is a perfect place to keep. Enjoyable perks: free snacks and in-room yoga mats and resistance bands.
Best Neighborhood for Arts/Tradition: TriBeCa
TriBeCa (Triangle Under Canal) is the place former warehouses have turn out to be lofts, galleries, and efficiency areas. In the night, the streets heave with individuals out for a drink or a chew to eat in one in every of the new “it” spots. It’s one in every of the hippest areas of city. Be on the lookout for Taylor Swift, New York Metropolis’s official tourism ambassador. She’s lived in NYC since 2014!
Best locations to keep in TriBeCa
- BUDGET: Sheraton Tribeca New York Lodge – A Four-star lodge however with finances costs, this Sheraton has actually trendy rooms and a pleasant 24-hour fitness center. There’s buying throughout the road and a Starbucks onsite. You’re additionally lower than a block away from the subway!
- MID-RANGE: Duane Road Lodge – This boutique lodge has some actually implausible touches, like terry bathrobes and basic books in every room. You should use their complimentary iPads, or take a motorcycle out for the day.
- LUXURY: The Frederick Lodge – Situated close to the 9/11 Memorial and Museum, the Frederick Lodge is a cool, modern spot providing air-conditioned rooms with couch beds, free Wi-Fi, and an awesome exercise space. You can too reap the benefits of their complimentary strolling excursions via the neighborhood.
Best Neighborhood for Arts/Tradition #2: Harlem
Harlem typically will get a nasty rap, however in current years it has turn into one in every of the trendiest, up-and-coming neighborhoods in New York Metropolis. The space has deep African-American roots and was recognized for its significance to music, literature, dance, and artwork. The well-known Apollo Theater (the place the Jackson 5 as soon as performed, amongst many different well-known performers) can also be right here.
Best locations to keep in Harlem
- BUDGET: Harlem YMCA – With its key location subsequent to quite a lot of 24-hour practice strains, the Harlem YMCA is a wonderful place to keep. All the rooms are personal, however friends share a standard rest room. You additionally get to reap the benefits of the full health middle, swimming pool, and sauna space.
- MID-RANGE: Edge Lodge – Even luxurious is pretty reasonably priced in Harlem! Every room right here is extremely trendy and comes with a metropolis view, and also you’ll additionally obtain free breakfast. There’s a 24-hour health middle and free Wi-Fi.
- LUXURY: Aloft Harlem – Aloft is a classy lodge situated inside a couple of minutes’ stroll to the Apollo Theatre. Every room comes with free Wi-Fi, a piece desk, espresso amenities, and a flat-screen TV. For those who’re thirsty, seize a drink at the W XYZ bar. Rooms go for $185 (in the winter) and $260 (in the summer time).
Best Neighborhood in Queens: Astoria
Though Astoria, in Queens, was historically NYC’s Greek neighborhood, there’s now an enormous variety of Italian, Brazilian, Baltic, Irish, and Egyptian residents in the space. Consequently, it’s one among the most culturally numerous elements of NYC, particularly in phrases of meals and artwork. Astoria is way from the motion of Manhattan however it’s an affordable place to keep and has numerous superb cultural issues to do. It’s an entire totally different NYC than what you think about! Test it out even when you don’t keep in the space.
Best locations to keep in Astoria
- BUDGET: Giorgio Lodge – This lodge additionally has small and reasonably priced dorm rooms, so you’ve loads of choices right here to suit your finances. It’s a terrific location and inside strolling distance to various eating places, bars, supermarkets, and laundry amenities. There’s additionally free Wi-Fi.
- BUDGET: The Native NYC – The dorm rooms at The Native are snug and clear, and the employees right here is superb. There’s a foyer bar, visitor computer systems, a rooftop space, and single intercourse rooms out there.
- MID-RANGE: Lodge Nirvana – Lodge Nirvana is subsequent to a metro station that takes you instantly to Manhattan. Reap the benefits of the free Wi-Fi, terrace, and health middle. Bonus: you get a free continental breakfast every morning!
- LUXURY: Paper Manufacturing unit Lodge – Heat colours and stylish furnishings have reworked this former manufacturing unit right into a homey lodge. Every room is giant and comes with its personal distinctive touches. There’s a coworking area and a recreation room!
The place do you keep in NYC? Nicely, that wll be up to you however wherever you find yourself reserving your lodge or hostels, possibilities are you’ll by no means be removed from a subway line so will probably be straightforward to get round the metropolis. New York Metropolis has lots of superb neighborhoods and lodging choices so use this information the subsequent time you’re visiting the metropolis and luxuriate in some nice locations to keep!
NEXT STEP —> Get My Information and See Extra of NYC for Much less!
With my information, you’ll get off the crushed path, away from crowds, and see the native aspect of New York Metropolis featturing my favourite sights, eating places, bars, and points of interest!
Get the NYC Information Now!
Guide Your Journey to NYC: Logistical Ideas and Tips
Get Your Information
Take a look at my detailed information to planning a go to to NYC with instructed itineraries, locations to keep, issues to do, the place to eat, and the way to get round. Simply click on right here to get the information and proceed planning as we speak!
E-book Your Flight
Discover a low cost flight through the use of Skyscanner or Momondo. They are my two favourite search engines like google and yahoo as a result of they search web sites and airways round the globe so that you all the time know no stone is left unturned.
Guide Your Lodging
You possibly can ebook your hostel with Hostelworld. If you’d like to keep elsewhere, use Reserving.com as they persistently return the least expensive charges for guesthouses and low cost lodges. I exploit all of them the time.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you towards sickness, damage, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes fallacious. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to use it many occasions in the previous. I’ve been utilizing World Nomads for ten years. My favourite corporations that provide the greatest service and worth are:
On the lookout for the greatest corporations to get monetary savings with?
Take a look at my useful resource web page for the greatest corporations to use if you journey! I listing all the ones I exploit to get monetary savings once I journey – and I feel will allow you to too!
Photograph credit: 2, three, Four, 6, 9, 13
var aepc_pixel = “pixel_id”:”1030407097019558″,”user”:,”enable_advanced_events”:”no”,”fire_delay”:”0″,”enable_viewcontent”:”no”,”enable_addtocart”:”yes”,”enable_addtowishlist”:”no”,”enable_initiatecheckout”:”yes”,”enable_addpaymentinfo”:”no”,”enable_purchase”:”yes”,”allowed_params”:”AddToCart”:[“value”,”currency”,”content_category”,”content_name”,”content_type”,”content_ids”],”AddToWishlist”:[“value”,”currency”,”content_category”,”content_name”,”content_type”,”content_ids”],
aepc_pixel_args = “utm_source”:”feedburner”,”utm_medium”:”feed”,”utm_campaign”:”Feed: MattsTravelSite (Matt’s Travel Log)”,”utm_content”:”Google UK”,
aepc_extend_args = perform( args )
if ( typeof args === ‘undefined’ )
args = ;
for(var key in aepc_pixel_args)
args[key] = aepc_pixel_args[key];
// Prolong args
if ( ‘sure’ === aepc_pixel.enable_advanced_events )
aepc_pixel_args.userAgent = navigator.userAgent;
aepc_pixel_args.language = navigator.language;
if ( doc.referrer.indexOf( doc.area ) < zero )
aepc_pixel_args.referrer = doc.referrer;
fbq('init', aepc_pixel.pixel_id, aepc_pixel.consumer);
fbq('monitor', "PageView", aepc_pixel_args);
, aepc_pixel.fire_delay * 1000 );