(part 1: Havana is right here). The tour particulars are right here.
01. The streets of Trinidad are a riot of color. There are such a lot of mixtures of saturated pigment that shouldn’t actually work collectively however someway they do and in an thrilling method.
Images and phrases: Damien Lovegrove
02. Javier our information (Pronounced Havier) stands within the morning daylight in the primary sq. of previous Trinidad, pictured proper. Patterned mild created by shadows has all the time been a fascination to me and I’ve employed it in my images since 1984 once I began my profession. I’ve even gone to the difficulty of shopping for a plastic palm tree to make use of as a gobo/ fake dingle in my studio and I’ve designed Scattergels to be used with Fresnel lensed lights too.
03. Prime left: maintaining pet music birds is a factor in Trinidad very similar to pet ferrets is a factor within the north of England. Prime proper: The yellow Fiat 126 might be nearly as good as new when the paint dries. Center left and backside proper: The sky color, saturation and luminosity blends completely with the road scenes in Trinidad.
I used to be charmed by the friendliness of the locals and the colourful, vibrant great thing about Trinidad. A lot of the world round me is bland proper now with neutrals dominating clothes and home paint. The automobiles in mainland Europe appear to solely be obtainable in white, gray, silver or black too and this has been happening for almost 10 years. I do hope the development will change again to color once more quickly.
04. Backside left. It’s nice to see that horses in Trinidad have a devoted place to satisfy up and have a chat. Prime left and proper: The cowboys of Trinidad put on spurs on their heels and carry huge knives fairly than six shooters.
Trinidad is a city the place horses outnumber automobiles within the oldest areas. The only story dwellings and cobbled streets let the solar in and stored automobiles out in equal measure.
05. The nook retailer has pineapples in the present day. The again streets of Trinidad are away from garbage and are actually quiet all through the day.There’s a distinct lack of uPVC within the buildings and material of Cuba and there appears to be little of any type of plastic generally use. Plastic is used for the bottles of water that vacationers drink however I anticipate this will get recycled. Simply two blocks away from the place I took these photographs hordes of vacationers that have been bussed in from a cruise ship are being taken on a tour of the previous city. They’re stored out of the best way of quaint streets like these for worry of ruining the peace. I used the GF 32-64mm lens at f/four for this shot to utilise the stunning bokeh.
Trinidad is a 320km, 5 hour journey by street from Havana. We took the route by way of Santa Clara and returned by way of Cienfuegos. The journey took us previous rice paddy fields and grazing land earlier than taking the mountain roads south of Santa Clara to Trinidad. I anticipated to see tobacco fields however these are additional to the east.
Cuba is a lengthy island with about the identical land space as Florida. Havana to Trinidad takes about 5 hours by street. By the way Key West in Florida is about 106 miles from Havana by boat. (map supply Google)
Digital camera: Fujifilm GFX50s (Velvia movie simulation)
Lenses: Fujifilm GF32-64mm, GF110mm
Lighting: Pure mild
Tripod: Novo T20, Benro G2 ball head and RRS lever lock plate
Monopod: Gitzo GM3551 with RRS ball head
06. Left: Prime canine. Proper: Heads will roll. A pigs head is the store signal for this butchers store.
I exploit a monopod for my road capturing. It holds the digital camera regular and carries the load of the digital camera. It’s not that the GFX is especially heavy, it weighs about the identical as a Nikon D5, it simply means my shoulders and higher boy are relaxed as I shoot. I can shoot with the GF 110mm lens at 1/60th second if I have to with the digital camera on the monopod. If I used to be hand-held with the identical lens I’d want 1/500th second to get sharp footage more often than not. Fujifilm make a 120mm f/four lens with a stabiliser however I opted for the optically fantastic 110mm f/2 lens and accepted the very fact I’ll be utilizing a tripod or monopod for every part.
07. Prime: Timing the shutter launch to seize a exact second comes with apply. Understanding when the second is true is one thing you possibly can study from a ebook however it takes follow, apply, follow to get it proper. I’ve all the time gone for the rear heal to be lifting as my second to seize a individual strolling however I’ve by no means discovered the most effective second for a horse. I used to be watching the lads within the cart and I’m delighted with the timing right here. Center left: The large pink tractor trundled via the road with it’s air con and fancy entrance wheel hubs. Center proper: The horses aren’t tied up they only know to face within the shade because the day heats up. Backside: I not often shoot road scenes however there’s a lot info to see within the element right here.
08. There’s a laid again Caribbean vibe concerning the place. A retro cool atmosphere.
09. A carriage driver checks out a group of approaching vacationers in search of potential clients. An aged gentleman poses for a photograph. The greenback ideas these guys get go a great distance right here.
10. Prime left: Overtones of New Orleans may be seen on this fantastic balcony simply off the primary sq. in previous city. Backside left: These domino gamers have been kind of conscious I used to be beside them however they have been too engrossed of their recreation of dominoes to care. They only arrange their desk within the street, late within the afternoon on a shady road. Backside proper: Well being and security at work. I’m unsure that extinguisher is inside it’s check date.
11. It helps to know a few dance strikes when directing dancers. I went for a tango Argentino line for the shot of Yulienni Jiménez Ramirez and Andy Michel Alvarez on the left. Some bemused vacationers watched from behind our cameras as we took over the primary sq.. I doubt this has been accomplished earlier than so I needed to offer it a go.
I exploit the tripod for all my directed shoots just like the dancers and mannequin photographs proven right here. It permits me to set the body then go in to regulate lighting or the pose with out having to re set up the composition.
12. A woman in a pink gown and a man in darkish apparel was my request to Javier when he booked our dancers and he delivered.
I really like working with crisp afternoon daylight. It’s a dream to create shadows with and I almost all the time shoot into the sunshine till about ten minutes earlier than sundown.
13. I cracked a joke about a blossoming romance. The response was a pretty actual second to seize. It’s one factor to seize a second however moments have to be created too.
14. I employed this lovely Cadillac for ten minutes whereas we did a enjoyable shoot.
15. I used to be a wedding ceremony photographer for a few years and the occasions spent posing couples got here in useful right here too. I just like the depth that capturing down the road provides this shot and the digital diagonal created be the attention line.
16. This inexperienced taxi has seen higher days however wow!, Pink, inexperienced and blue, the first colors of sunshine at virtually most saturation.
17. Andy constructing rapport with a horse.
My footage have been impressed by the color palette of Jack Vetriano’s work. He simply didn’t use sufficient blue 🙂
19. The ladder positioned towards the wall made a completely easy shot extra putting. That backside rung appears a bit dodgy. You wouldn’t get me up there.
20. Capturing with the sunshine because the power within the solar fades. I left my GFX on a sunny day white stability to permit the pure colors to be rendered. The Velvia movie simulation added to the distinction and saturation.
21. The blue is hanging and virtually surreal. I feel these remind me of my work with poster color paint once I was a lad. I used to be taken by the saturation that might be achieved so simply with the GFX.
Be a part of me in Cuba subsequent yr…
Enter your e-mail tackle to be stored updated with info on Cuba (Feb/Mar) 2019
Thanks, We’ll maintain you updated with developments as they occur for the Lovegrove Cuba images tour in 2019. We cannot spam you. Within the meantime you possibly can see the tour occasion web page right here: https://passionphotographyexperience.com/discover-cuba-2019/
22. Yulienni Jiménez Ramirez and Andy Michel Alvarez have been are dance couple and though they weren’t a ‘couple’ once we began the shoot that they had fairly a little bit of chemistry by the point we completed capturing.
25. I cajoled a couple of native onlookers to pose for our cameras.
26. Much less is extra. Right here is Rocio holding us guessing.
27. Dwelling the dream.
28. Our final tour of the journey was to the seashore. We have been the one individuals there at 8am. The bikini was one I had purchased on Amazon for my USA wild west journey (June 2018) and I assumed it will work properly right here too.
30. I really like the rendering of those GFX50s information in black and white and I needed to share some with you. These have the Acros G movie simulation that give pores and skin a wholesome glow.
31. A woman on a automotive bonnet/ hood is a sequence of photographs that I’ve needed to take for a while. I needed to maintain it stylish and keep away from a cheesy glamour look. I purchased the Wayfarers on Ebay earlier than I travelled to Cuba. Cubans can’t purchase items on-line but so I left the sun shades and a few different styling gadgets with Rocio once I left the island. I’m positive she is going to nonetheless have them subsequent yr for once I return.
32. I hooked up a fallen palm leaf/ department to my lighting stand utilizing my growth arm clamp and hoisted it into place to forged the suns shadows on the automotive and Rocio. When a gobo is manufactured from a department of leaves it’s referred to as a dingle. It’s a time period I discovered once I educated as a lighting director on the BBC.
34. I acquired a peaceable straightforward feelin’ in Trinidad.
That’s it for now. Cuba, (pronounced kooba) what a place!
Be a part of me right here in 2019 for my subsequent Cuban journey. I’ll be visiting the identical spots and mixing it up a bit with a go to to a ballet faculty amongst different variations. In case you are visually stimulated like me Cuba is the place to take your digital camera. There isn’t a higher time to go than subsequent Spring. The speedy social and financial modifications brought on by a thaw within the Cuba / US relations beneath president Obama have stalled which means change has been placed on ice. The Castro rule in Cuba has ended and Cuba is welcoming vacationers with open arms. The dry, heat, spring local weather is simply fantastic. Click on right here to see our itinerary and particulars for the 2019 Cuban journey. For those who’ve not seen part one in every of this 2018 journey click on right here.
Be happy to touch upon these footage under.
Enjoyable within the solar…
Signal as much as obtain subscriber low cost codes and superior discover of future images workshops, holidays and adventures with Damien Lovegrove.
Thanks. for signing as much as obtain subscriber low cost codes and superior discover of future images workshops, holidays and adventures with Damien Lovegrove.