A nice query that arose lately when a great good friend despatched me a Facebook request. Whereas I would like to be their pal on Facebook, the issue was that I was already pals with them on Facebook.
The truth is, the day earlier than I acquired the “request” we had lunch collectively and had mentioned a few of the photographs of his current trip that he had posted on Facebook. Since I was already Facebook pals with him, I knew it was a pretend Facebook request.
This can be a pretend Facebook pal request the place the scammer is posing as a pal of mine
So, the query turned:
How do I report and block a scammer who has despatched me a pretend Facebook request from a pal who I am already pals with?
It’s a reasonably straight-ahead course of, so I’ll stroll you thru the method.
- 1 Ought to I Even Care If A Scammer Sends Me A Fake Facebook Request?
- 2 OK…So If I Need To Report A Fake Facebook Friend Request, How Do I Do It?
Ought to I Even Care If A Scammer Sends Me A Fake Facebook Request?
You completely ought to care, however provided that you want your privateness and safety of your private info!
Why do you have to care about a lot of these pretend Facebook profiles? As a result of they could possibly be used to reap private knowledge from your folks or relations…and ultimately you.
Not solely do you have to care about that pretend Facebook pal requests you simply acquired, you must report it. This is how! Click on To Tweet
Think about this state of affairs:
- Joe Scammer creates a Facebook account with knowledge harvested out of your sister’s Facebook profile.
- Joe Scammer sends good friend requests to your brother, who’s confused…however accepts the pal request anyway.
- Joe Scammer can now see your whole brother’s personal info that was beforehand solely accessible to his buddies, due to his Facebook settings.
- Joe Scammer can now comb by means of your brothers knowledge and discover out info just like the names of his partner, youngsters, the place he works, the place he lives, and so on…
- Joe Scammer can use that info to aim to hack his private knowledge.
- Anybody who’s pals together with your brother, who additionally has their privateness settings set to point out knowledge to “friends of friends” is now open to the scammer to start out knowledge harvesting.
As you’ll be able to see, each person who accepted Joe Scammers Facebook pal request not solely uncovered their private knowledge to a scammer, they probably uncovered their pals to future scams, as properly.
OK…So If I Need To Report A Fake Facebook Friend Request, How Do I Do It?
Naturally, I didn’t need this scammer utilizing the pretend Facebook profile to rip-off others into friending it after which harvesting their personal consumer knowledge, so I went on the warpath to get this pretend profile eliminated.
I figured documenting the steps would assist others that run into this example sooner or later.
Step 1 – Validate That It Is A Fake Facebook Profile
Step one is to double-examine to see in case you are already buddies with them or nonetheless pals with them. Issues occur, they could have by chance unfriended you, however now they’ve determined that they need to be associates once more.
Or perhaps they unfriended you over a heated political dialogue (everyone knows it occurs) however now need to clean issues over.
Both means, step one is to verify that you’re truly already pals. For those who see them in your mates record, then you already know you’re already buddies and the brand new request is pretend.
Fake Facebook Requests Are Your Enemy! If somebody can get you to simply accept the pal request, then they will see all of your contact info (together with your telephone quantity should you make it obtainable to your folks). They will then monitor your posts for details about your youngsters, your location, and so forth…Then, they will attempt to set you up for a rip-off as a result of they know so much about you.
Gross, proper? Proper!
However all of the extra purpose to report the pretend account.
Checking To See If You Are Nonetheless Pals On Facebook
The best way to verify to see if somebody continues to be your good friend on Facebook is to:
1) Log in to Facebook.
2) Click on your profile photograph within the higher-left nook.
three) Click on “Friends” within the navigation slightly below you cowl photograph
four) Within the Search field, sort your mates’ identify. Ensure that you spell it appropriately.
Search your Facebook buddies to ensure you are nonetheless related with the pal earlier than reporting the pretend good friend request
Should you see your pal within the record of individuals that you’re associates with, then it’s possible that the “friend request” or “Messenger request” is a pretend profile.
Observe: Make certain that you’re checking the attainable derivatives of their identify. If their identify is Becky, make sure to examine to see in the event that they use Rebecca as their Facebook identify.
Contacting Your Friend And Asking About The Account
It’s potential that your good friend can’t get into their previous Facebook account and may’t reset the password, so they’re simply creating a brand new account. If that’s the case, they usually affirm that they despatched you a pal request then it’s okay to simply accept their request and add them as a brand new pal.
Earlier than you report a pretend Facebook good friend request, make sure to examine together with your good friend first
Simply remember that you’ll have two entries in your folks listing with the identical identify, so once you tag them or message them, be certain you’re utilizing the right account.
Earlier than you report what seems to be a pretend Facebook pal request, contact your good friend to ensure it’s pretend. Click on To Tweet
Step 2 – Reporting The Account
So, What Do I Do With This Fake Friend Request? The very first thing you do is DO NOT ACCEPT IT!!!
The subsequent factor you do is report it to Facebook. To report the account as pretend, following these steps:
Reporting A Fake Facebook Account
1) Click on on the identify or profile photograph of the pretend account. It gained’t harm something in case you are simply viewing their profile.
2) Copy the hyperlink to the pretend profile. At this level, it’s a good suggestion to ship a message to your actual pal by way of e mail or Facebook Messenger to allow them to know that somebody is impersonating them. Allow them to know that they will report the individual and have Facebook evaluate the account. You possibly can even ship them a hyperlink to this text to allow them to know how one can report the scammer.
three) The subsequent step is to report the pretend profile to Facebook. The extra folks that report it, the extra critical Facebook will take the incident. Since you’re already on the scammer’s pretend profile, click on the three dots subsequent to the “Message” button and from the menu, select “Give feedback or report this profile”.
Click on the Message menu and select to report this pretend Facebook profile
three) After clicking that hyperlink, you’ll be requested to point why you’re reporting the profile. Click on “Pretending To Be Someone” since this scammer is impersonating your pal.
Choose the choice that the account is pretending to be somebody to report the pretend Facebook profile.
NOTE: You need to use this very same type for quite a lot of totally different functions. If an account is totally made up, is posting issues which are inappropriate, or harassing you this type is how you’d report it. If, although, you are feeling that the individual is placing you in speedy hazard you must name the police, don’t look forward to Facebook to assist.
four) When you click on that, it is going to ask who the scammer is pretending to me. Click on “A Friend”.
Point out that the pretend account is pretending to be your good friend.
5) Click on “Send” within the decrease-proper nook.
6) Lastly, the message field may have you seek for the pal who the scammer is making an attempt to impersonate. Seek for your pal after which click on the radio button to the correct of their identify. Click on Subsequent and Facebook will affirm the receipt of your fraud request.
Sort the identify of your good friend and choose their actual account to let Facebook know who they’re making an attempt to impersonate
7) The final step is to dam the scammer. Click on the hyperlink to “Block ______”, the place _____ is the good friend’s identify. You aren’t blocking your actual Facebook pal. You’re solely blocking the scammer who’s utilizing their identify.
The final step is to dam the pretend Facebook profile.
eight) The message field will ask you to verify that you simply need to block the individual. Click on “Ok”.
9) After you have blocked the pretend account, you will notice the message field change to point out that the account is blocked.
10) Click on “Done” and the dialog field will shut.
If acquired a suspicious Facebook good friend requests and need to analysis and report it, listed here are the steps. Click on To Tweet
Step three – Go On With Life And Wait For Facebook To Reply
Whether or not you understand it or not, you have got a Help Inbox with Facebook. Everybody has one, however most individuals don’t realize it exists.
Everytime you open a help ticket with Facebook, they generate a ticket and you may monitor any updates to that ticket in your help inbox. To view your inbox, simply go to https://www.facebook.com/support or click on the query mark icon within the higher-proper nook and select “Help Inbox from the dropdown menu.
It is best to see a ticket relating to your report of the pretend Facebook profile. As you’ll be able to see, Facebook principally acknowledges my ticket and let’s me know if there are any questions or subsequent steps.
Your Facebook help inbox is the place you possibly can monitor any reviews of faux pal requests or pretend profiles
Step four – Proceed With Your Vigilance
Consider it or not, with all Facebook’s fancy algorithms and privateness/safety settings, the perfect protection towards spammers is precise the consumer group. That’s you and me.
Meaning once we see scammers, we have to do extra than simply ignore them, however to take proactive steps to report them and get them booted off the community. The extra we report, the quicker Facebook may give them the boot and the safer Facebook shall be.
And One Extra Factor
For those who’re studying this publish, it possible means you have been contacted by a scammer utilizing a pretend Facebook account. Now may be a good suggestion to assume slightly extra about your personal on-line safety and do the next:
1) Change your passwords – Replace these passwords on your Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, and different huge social networks. Be certain you’re utilizing robust passwords.
2) Verify your Facebook privateness settings and take into consideration the place you’re accessing Facebook – Run a privateness verify to ensure your Facebook content material is protected. Moreover, assume twice about utilizing public WiFi should you aren’t utilizing a VPN.
three) Evaluate your Facebook associates listing – Do you actually need to be pals with all these people? Perhaps this can be a good time to pare down that listing and scale back the potential variety of safety breaches that would occur, exposing your private knowledge.
I hope that helps! Something we will do to assist maintain Facebook free from pretend profiles is a step in the suitable course. If in case you have one other solution to battle or report these pretend Facebook profiles, please let me know in a remark. I’d love to listen to how others are dealing with them.
[Answered] How Do I Report A Fake Facebook Friend Request? was final modified: October sixth, 2018 by Sean R. Nicholson